Friday, November 4, 2016

My Why



As I’ve shared, I’ve been really concerned about unknown toxins in our food and cosmetics for the last 9 or so years.  It has definitely been a journey for me, learning all the while and trying to make the best and safest choices that I can with my resources, time and energy.  We do our best with what we have. 

I’ve learned this personally and also in my professional work as a therapist.  Most people are doing the best they can with their skills and circumstances.    I see my role as a therapist to help people whose ways of coping and living aren’t allowing them to be their best or live a full and healthy life.  As I’ve spent the last 6 years of my life focused on my family and keeping my head above water in the roles, transitions and changes life has brought my way, I haven’t felt in a position to be responsible in a professional way for anyone except my family.    I have the desire inside to be present with clients in this way again, and I know that when I am ready, I will be very happy to do it. 

Beautycounter came to me in an unexpected and organic way, and I am so glad that it did. I admire the company and it’s mission. I love the transparency and what I see behind the scenes. I love the products—how they feel, how they smell, how they work and what is in them.   I’ve shared my thoughts on health and food with friend and family for years, but never in an “official” capacity. I love having access to Beautycounter’s knowledge and understanding of the cosmetic industry. I love that the company is committed to and leading change in our country to protect everyone—whether they are using Beautycounter products or not. 

As I’ve gotten older and lived through a fair amount of change, hard experiences, responsibilities, and jobs, I’ m learning to love and accept myself in a new way.   I’ve spent much of my life as a very insecure female.  I think for many women, it doesn’t matter what shape, size,  or color we are or whether our hair is curly or straight, or how tall or small we are, the constant scrutiny by self and others, awareness of physical expectation, male attention and cultural pressure creates a lot of room for self criticism and fear.  While I’ve been very confident and successful in many ways, I’ve struggled with this internal sense of myself as a woman and how my external packaging allows or prevents me from being able to embrace my full identity.   I love nature. I love running wild in fields. I like getting dirty and playing in mud. I’d like to learn to hunt. I love dressing up and wearing smouldering eye shadow.  I like to look and feel my best.  I don’t wear make up daily, but I like to feel my face is reflecting the joy in my heart, even when my heart’s joy is clouded by the daily fears, sadness, and pain we all feel.   I want to be tall and confident and speak my truths clearly and confidently.  I want to feel safe to kneel and pray, humbly thanking God for all that I have and crying for what I’ve lost. 

What I am discovering for myself is that being a consultant for Beautycounter fits me now. It is helping me to take care of my family and myself and to feel that my best self is visible.  I love sharing the knowledge of health with others and spreading our mission of getting safe products into the hands of everyone.  I want to help other women who don’t feel confident in themselves to find their beautiful, to heal and to grow.  I see this as my lifelong journey. In the future it might be sitting or moving together and working though her heart’s pain. Right now, it looks like sitting together and laughing while finding the perfect shade of lip sheer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment