Monday, April 7, 2014

Hot Chocolate (Vegan and Delicious)


I wanted to make a dairy free hot cocoa for my daughter and this is what I came up with:


2 cups Coconut milk
1/4 cup raw cacao powder
1 Tbs. honey
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract


The proportions are dependent on how much you want to make and what type of cocoa you are using, as well as how sweet you want it to be. I like to use raw cacao powder as it is high in magnesium, iron, zinc and fiber.   It is very strong so I normally only use half of what is recommended in recipes calling for unsweetened cocoa.  I make my own  coconut milk and prefer it to store bought as i haven't found a store bought version with a consistency I like or that doesn't have an after taste.    You can also easily make vanilla extract.

Heat the coconut milk over medium heat and add all ingredients stirring slowly.  Heat til hot but not boiling.  Serve warm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment