Saturday, November 23, 2013

Lentil and Kale Soup (Vegan or with Sausage) and Forgiveness Cooking

I practice  forgiveness cooking. I don't know if this is what anyone else calls it, but it means I rarely follow recipes, don't measure and discover as I go along. I normally think about what ingredients I have and what I want to make and plan the steps while I am driving or nursing a baby to sleep and then try it when it's time to cook.  So, a lot of my recipes are recreated with amounts that I remember using and most things can be altered to the cook's taste and what is on hand.

Lentil and Kale Soup

I love this soup and find it especially delicious with sausage, but it can easily be made without. When I was planning the recipe I planned to make it on a Friday and then add sausage to the leftovers to eat on Sunday.


1 bunch kale (stems removed and chopped)
1 medium onion, chopped
1-2 clove garlic minced
1 tsp olive oil
4 cups water, veg. broth or chicken broth
2 cups dry (any kind you have-french/beluga/mixed lentils*)
4 potatoes cute in cubes-skin on if organic  (optional)
salt
pepper
fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1-2 lbs sausage skin removed (chicken, pork, spicy, garlic and herb---whatever your preference)


In a heavy skillet cook sausage meat until cooked through 15 or so minutes, set aside.  While sausage is cooking, saute onion in olive oil in a large dutch oven for 5-7 minutes until translucent, add garlic and saute for 3-5 minutes. Next add rinsed lentils and potatoes. Cook for 5-10 minutes before adding broth.  Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and cover, allowing lentils to cook for 25-30 minutes. Next add the kale and sausage (if including).  Cover and allow to cook 15-20 more minutes until the kale is tender.  Feel free to add more water/broth if you prefer a more liquid soup.  season with salt and pepper.  Serve in bowls topped with a drizzle of olive oil or grated cheese and fresh bread with butter.


*ideally soaked overnight in water and a Tbs. cider vinegar, drained and rinsed



We paired it with Trader Joe's Zinfandel, a new wine we really enjoyed.

Lentil and Kale Soup, shown with sausage and potatoes. Yes, I know I need to remember to take more and better photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment