Thursday, November 7, 2013

Smoked Ham Cabbage

I was thinking about this recipe for a week or two before I decided to try it. It was pretty simple and turned out delicious.

1 lb smoked Ham cubes
1 yellow onion chopped
1 head cabbage shredded
5 carrots diced
salt and pepper
1 tbs lard or other fat of choice

In a large heavy pot ( I used a 4 quart dutch oven) melt lard over medium heat. I use lard rendered from pastured bacon from Brick Farm Market in NJ that I freeze.  After the lard is melted add the onion and saute til translucent, about 5-7 minutes.  Next add the ham cubes.   I buy mine from Your Family Farmer in PA. Cook them through about 10 minutes depending on how large they are.  Next add the carrots and cook for 2 minutes. Finally add the shredded cabbage and cook covered on medium for about 30-45 minutes, until cabbage becomes translucent. Stir occasionally and season with salt and pepper to taste.  We ate this as a side for dinner, but it could be a good lunch meal or a dinner with salad and some hearty bread and butter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment